Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dallas









Bronius had a 3 day training in Dallas and we decided to tag along! It would have been much easier to stay at home, but I was in the mood for adventure, and Bronius was gracious enough to sacrifice his alone time to let us come along! :)

We spun Milo's car seat around on this road trip and he loves being forward-facing! It made the trip much easier too. We started by going to the Plano Hot Air Balloonfest. The last time we went, we arrived in the morning and that's the best way to beat the heat and the crowds. We arrived just in time to have a little fun and eat some festival food before the balloons launched, and it was SO EXCITING to watch it!!! It was like watching a dream, it's just so magical (stop laughing at me!)

We stayed in the Sheraton Suites Market Center in Dallas and it was super close to all things downtown. It was right next door to Medieval Times but we never got to go to a show because the timings were not working for us. I was the most bummed about that. However, I am super proud of myself for driving the kids around all by myself - and NOT GETTING LOST, calling Bronius repeatedly or hyperventilating on the side of the road. I've only been to Dallas a few times, none of which were downtown trips, and none of which where I was driving. So, 5 gold stars for me! Thanks to my handy palm pre, I was able to navigate while driving and find a few parks, grocery stores, libraries and other child-friendly places for us to go to.

I took the kids to the zoo single-handedly and it went surprisingly well! I rented a little wagon to cart the kids around when they got tired, and they hopped in and out at their leisure depending on their interest in certain exhibits. The Dallas Zoo has an awesome Children's Zoo within the zoo, and we honestly could have spent all day at the zoo. I didn't realize we had only seen half the zoo until I got back to the hotel and opened up the map all the way - doh! I wish I could have taken more pictures, but I was doing good just to keep the kids by my side and not swinging with the monkeys from tree branches! It rained most of the time we were there, which put us in the mood for hot, comforting Vietnamese food and we found a lovely bistro that played Duran Duran and Depeche Mode and U2 and if that wasn't good enough for me, they made the most delicious noodles and lemon grass chicken that I've ever had! MMMMMM!

Now we're back and settling into the home routine again. I'm trying to put the house back together and start pulling out winter clothes since we're having a little cold snap here! :) I'm so happy that Fall is here, there is so much to love about Fall. Happy Fall wishes to you all!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I;m too a fan of hot air balloon festivals, so you are not weird! I wen to one in NJ when I was about 14. I was NOT too old to enjoy it- I loved it!

Lesley Anne said...

What a FFFUUUNNNN trip! :) You know how to live Julia Goolia!

Josie said...

Sure looks like fun!! I love hot air balloons but have never made it to a festival. They flew above our house in Sonoma frequently, but I never saw them up close.

Kristen said...

FUN! What a brave Mama you are! You didn't tell me any of this at the park today. ;-)

Kristen said...

Oh, and I love the photo of Dominic reading the statue's book!

Kelly said...

My little Julia is growing up! A cooking blog AND driving around Dallas by yourself without getting lost! I love it!! :) :)

The Vietnamese restaurant sounds amazing! I can't believe the music. haha. Love it! :)