
Happy Birthday to our Dominic Gabriel!
I can hardly believe that it was a full five years ago that we began our journey as parents. 5 years doesn't sound like a long time, but it has been quite a journey!
Dominic is our spark plug. He is our source of energy, he's our mover and shaker. He will always be the child who challenges us to be more as people and parents...the journey has been exhausting, but still I am so grateful! At the age of 5, we have noticed Dominic is mellowing into a more pensive child...if his body is not in constant movement, his mind is. :) Speaking of constant motion, he loves gymnastics. When he's not at class, I catch him doing front flips off the couch as well as backward hand stands. Yes, the no climbing on furniture rule has been relaxed this summer...until it's less than 3,000 degrees outside at least. Group sports has not really grabbed his interest, he likes individual pursuits at present. We may consider karate in the Fall for him. Another favorite hobby is frisbee golf which he is starting to get into!
Dominic is our Picasso. He is always working on creating or building something, and he is interested in almost ANY small project someone starts, from changing a light bulb to baking muffins. We burn through paint, markers, crayons, paper, glue and the like at the speed of light. Which is why we practice recycling to the best of our ability to teach good stewardship. If only we can figure out how to get his showers down from 15 mins to 5 mins now....
Dominic is our outdoorsman. Sadly with the summer heat, we've not been able to collect sticks and rocks and ride bikes as much, but he still loves to climb a good tree when he sees one. He collects rocks and sticks in bulk (oh how I wish this was an exaggeration) and it has been fun to learn along with him about the different types of rocks (Geology 101 is coming in handy!) He is dreaming of the day when Daddy will take him camping, and he also is obsessed with the notion of a treehouse. It appeased him when we explained we needed a real tree before we could construct a tree house.
Dominic is the big brother I prayed for, for Milo and the others who will follow. He is helpful, sensitive, generous...and during times when I lack the patience to cope with a toddler tantrum, he will jump in with the perfect distraction. Makes me cry every time, by the way. He's such a good boy! He sets a good example and he loves to play with his brother. They make up silly games all the time, and it brings me so much joy. I'm sure we'll have days of fighting ahead, but for the most part, our boys get along like 2 peas in a pod. There was a time last summer when I wondered if they'd EVER be able to enjoy each other's company...I hope I don't wonder about that for a long time!
Dominic is our Benjamin Franklin. He is an inventor. He is CONSTANTLY thinking of inventions. When I took him to KOR school for a tour, we visited different classrooms where kids had created their own inventions. This spurred an obsession with making machines that do different things. I have yet to write them down (since they become VERY lengthy narratives...gee, I wonder where he gets THAT from?) The next one I hear, I'll remember to record it here. :)
Dominic is our contrarian. His nature has always been a little oppositional, he likes to test, he likes to buck the system. But in the past year, he is rarely straightforward about his feelings. I first noticed it when he was watching "SuperWhy" when he was like 3, and some character asked "Will you help me look for the clue?" and I heard Dominic say "mmmm mmmm" quietly in response. For example, "you did a great job picking up your room." "noooo I didn't," in a little sing song voice. If we say "take 2 bites more of dinner before bringing your plate to the sink." "I'll have ONLY one bite." Or for example, "did you have fun at the park?" "mmm mmm," (saying no, with a subtle smile). We ignore it mostly, except for when it borders on back talk or rudeness. It is EXTREMELY annoying and we're just hoping that once school starts, this phase will come to an end. Teaching him can be challenging for us as parents, since he literally will call "black" "white" just to spite us. At least I know that homeschooling isn't for us, at least not this year. :) Please oh PLEASE let this phase be done soon!
We're just praying for people in Dominic's life who can understand his gifts and his brightness and his energy, and the sweetness that only his Mama gets to witness sometimes....and we're hoping for a teacher next year who will be a great match for him. I've been super protective of him because I haven't wanted people to misunderstand him, since he can be a pretty complex cookie. But Kindergarten is a month away, and I realize he will be (mostly) responsible for presenting his image to the world, and I believe he will do us proud. We've poured love and attention into this person for 5 years and I believe the output will be rewarding for all :)
I know I am forgetting SO much more, and pictures will come soon from his Toy Story party tomorrow :) He loves Toy Story, which is another indication of who he is...he loves dreaming of possibilities. He loves the idea that toys can become real to a child who loves them. He loves the story of the nutcracker and the velveteen rabbit and of course he still treasures his teddy bear. I love that he has a nurturing side to him, I think it will serve him well in life and I think it has helped us teach him empathy from a young age.
Dominic, we love you bubbie. You made us a Mommy and Daddy and for that we will be forever grateful. For all the gifts you bring to our family, we are thankful. God bless you on this special day, your 5th birthday, we pray for many happy moments today as we celebrate your life!
Love, Mommmy, Daddy, Milo and baby
Birthday interview to come.....
1 comment:
Such a sweet post Julia. I enjoyed reading this update and he can shower alone?!! Have not tried that yet. I have to tell you Elena is also obsessed with Toy Story 2. She has been since the 2nd one was out. Buzz is her favorite. Can't wait to see you. I'll be in town in 3 weeks.
Post a Comment