Saturday, December 11, 2010

Welcome home, Jonas Raphael!


We're home! Jonas Raphael was born Thursday December 9th at 12:34 pm, and weighed 8 lbs 4 oz and was 20 inches long. He is healthy, and adorable! We are trying to process the "new normal" on our first day back home. It was kind of jarring to move from how slowly and peacefully things flow at the hospital back into the rush of jumping and energetic boys, but I've heard we'll adjust in time :) Jonas seems not to be phased by the all the noise and excitement, thank goodness!








I can not believe that we are parents to three boys - THREE boys! This might be a personal best for us, as far as achievements go. I know it's just the beginning, but we feel pretty amazed. The big brothers are very proud. Dominic is particularly interested in soothing and holding Jonas, and finding special baby toys for him from years past. Milo is of course only two, and he is curious, but he also seems to be discovering a mischevious streak. I will have to keep an eye on him for sure.

Baby Jonas seems like a normal newborn...he breastfeeds in short clusters, but often, and he likes those big newborn naps. But he's not too jazzed about the in between alert periods. He kind of fusses on and off. I'm having a hard time remembering if that's normal or not, this early on. I didn't want to give him the pacifier so soon, but I'm not able to walk him around the room and try other things for soothing him yet...I had a fourth degree tear so my recovery will be a little slower than normal. Tonight's the first night home, so we'll see how he sleeps. I can't decide if we're supposed to try to let him be alert in the daytime so he sleeps better at night or not...in my memory, there's not much you can do to control what a newborn wants to do. At any rate, please wish us luck!

I'm so thankful for a smooth delivery, albeit with a bit of a nasty end - but truly, the labor was great. I'm thankful nursing seems to be going well and my recovery is on its way (if I can just ignore the messes and chaos for another week, that is!) I am thankful for healthy children and a wonderful husband who is being a SUPER DAD! I am thankful to Senele who took great care of the kids while we were in the hospital and gave us peace of mind. I'll be very thankful to my family who will come and go next week to help a little, and for friends who will be delivering meals! It's a wonderful season to be having a baby, we are cherishing the Advent joy and peace and our first chance to really meditate and marvel over the birth of our Savior during a family birth of our own.

Joy and Peace from our house to yours! Please keep our family transition and good health in your prayers, thank you!

2 comments:

Josie said...

Was dying to see an update as you can tell by my quick response. So glad to see you (in pics) home and well. He is a sweetie! We will be praying for your transition with 3 little ones. Oh and I just had to share this similar tidbit. Marisa was born on December 9th, 2007 at 12:25pm and weighed 8lbs, 3oz. :)

Kristen said...

Yay! We were so glad to hear the news! Prayers for your transition into family life with three boys! What fun!