Monday, August 27, 2012

First day of school




The first day of school was a smashing success for Dominic. He thinks his teachers are great, and we happen to concur!!! We have been very blessed with a strong, energetic and enthusiastic 2nd grade team at our school, I am so thankful! Dominic is taking pride in being a 2nd grader. His little brothers glom on to him the minute he gets in the door, so I try to have everyone doing something so Dominic has a minute to have a snack and tell me about his day before the afternoon picks up, and it gives him some space to rest (although I can't use the word "rest" or he will deny it vehemently that he is tired). Dominic is taking karate 3 times a week and we are so impressed by the skills and discipline that he is cultivating, and I enjoy that time together with him. I'll steal him away after his brothers are tucked in, so we can read together. We all miss him and we're all happy when he's back home :)

Milo's LAST first day of preschool was today, and it was so nice to see him hop into the classroom with such confidence. He is so comfortable and familiar at his school and with his teachers (same from last year) and is looking forward to being the big 4 year old who helps the new 3 year olds - a Montessori rite of passage! He is also getting to have lunch there which is another big milestone. My heart is so happy when I think of our kiddos at that school house where they are so nurtured and challenged. I really look forward to when Jonas takes a nap, as Milo and I will read books and play, and sometimes fall asleep on the couch together. I still need to stage a fake first day picture since we were having a massive meltdown about the "bumpy feeling of socks inside of sneakers" on the first day. :)

Jonas...well. I couldn't leave him out of all the back to school fuss! So he got a new pair of crocs and a "back to school" shirt. But the biggest prize of all, of course, is one-on-one time with Mommy, 3 mornings a week. I know, right? Jackpot of amazingness. So I promoted him into junior assistant and I'm involving him in unloading the dishwasher and picking up toys. He's happy doing it, as long as he's allowed to wear my shoes :) and it's certainly better than him raiding the pantry for cookies and coloring on himself with markers - the tell tale signs of a bored and frustrated toddler! I am really excited about taking him to music class and the library, and walks to the park. It's precious time together.

For me, I am looking forward to so many things this Fall.....trying my hand at planting, a Moms prayer breakfast, a book club that I adore, getting into a new fitness routine, carving out one on one time with each child and hopefully finding some more writing gigs. And cooler temperatures. That might be the best one of all! :)

Life is good, thanks be to God!


Here we are trying to establish our after school routine for 2012.

No comments: