Well, we've gotten the haircuts, a few new clothes, bought our supplies and met our teachers. We're getting to bed on time. The first day of school is almost upon us. And everyone keeps asking "are you ready?" And I almost always answer with a big sigh, because it's a breath of happiness and relief, but also one of longing and sadness.
This has been my favorite summer by far, since my journey of motherhood began. Everyone is a bit bigger, and trips out have been much easier. We attended Pioneer Camp, VBS, Camp Invention and Choir Camp. We had a karate birthday party for Dominic. We went on our first family retreat. We celebrated 10 years of marriage. We took swimming lessons and had lots of playdates and trips the pool. We went to the dollar movies, and filled up our reading logs. We took piano. We only left town 4 times, but we packed those trips with lots of downtown fun and family time. And I even hosted 3 camps at our own home this summer!
But what I treasure the most was watching my three boys jumping on the trampoline together like hot kernels of popcorn ready to pop. Or curling up on a couch together with books, building a pillow fort on a rainy day and making pancakes. I know our time with them is fleeting before the real busy season of life begins, and we are in no hurry to get there. The summer is a rare time of slowing down and re-connecting, and I am so thankful for it.
But just as with everything, there is a season for all things, and the school year has arrived. My hand will have to let go of those little hands as our boys grow and learn, and my heart will have to be brave as I trust and pray that God will watch over our children, surround and protect them, and guide their steps each day as we share our most precious gifts with the world. We love you, boys. We're so proud of you!
A few pictures of the final blissful week of summer.
Dominic, Kyler (our neighbor) and Milo at the fountain after dinner.
Milo making a "shaking restaurant" with magnaformers.
Dominic was really into making lego stop frame animations this summer.
Kyler took us to see his Dad's firehouse and we got to sit in the emergency vehicles!
A random sunshower, which meant we had to jump on the trampoline to fully appreciate it!
Afternoon art therapy
Grandma's visit. I was crying when she left, too.
Somebody found the peanut butter pie batter....
Ice cream date with Daddy
Wishing all parents, students and teachers a wonderful new school year!










3 comments:
Peanut butter pie?! That sounds amazing! Is it something you have pinned? We may need to try it.
Ooo it was so good, Erin! It was a Six Sisters recipe, I'll post it tonight!
http://www.letsdishrecipes.com/2012/03/chocolate-peanut-butter-no-bake-dessert.html
It's no bake, so no worries about heating an oven in summer ;)
Post a Comment