Monday, March 10, 2014

Family Friendly Films for Lent (for young children)



In our home, we try to focus on the Seven Principles of Catholic Social Teaching during Lent in an age-appropriate way.  It can be challenging to address these complex topics with young children, so watching films as a family is a great way to introduce these themes and have conversation afterwards.  As I was compiling a list for my own family, I thought I might share it with anyone else who would be interested. I would love to add your recommendations to my list!


1) Dignity of Life /Respect for all Life -  Horton Hears a Who,  An American Tale
2) Call to Family, Community and Participation - The Blind Side, The Lion King, The Sound of Music
3) Rights and Responsibilities - Helen Keller's story
4) Option for the Poor and Vulnerable - A Little Princess, Robin Hood *
5) The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers - Prince of Egypt
6) Solidarity - Remember the Titans
7) Care for God's Creation/Stewardship -  The Lorax,  Wall - E

Netflix features a goodly amount of movies about the life of Christ and the Saints, for older children. I am compiling a list for older children and parents next! Wishing you many fruitful evenings of prayer, inspiration and conversation this Lent!

Excellent discussion questions here.



*  this disclaimer states that I do not condone stealing from the rich to give to the poor as a practical or viable solution to poverty, but that the story/fable of Robin Hood demonstrates an admirable yearning for justice.

2 comments:

Cristina said...

I love An American Tale, being adopted that song "Somewhere out there...." always made me tear up. I wanted to show it to my boys the other day but as I was about to check it out from the library I realized it was American Tale 3. So disappointed! I just put it back and I'll try to find the real thing after Lent!

Julia said...

That is a bummer! :( The sequels are simply not the same! I will keep my eye peeled for it online for you! :)