Monday, October 08, 2007

The sneaky chef





www.thesneakychef.com/















About a year ago, my sister Sarah told me about this cookbook called "The Sneaky Chef" which is all about making purees of fruits and vegetables and "sneaking" them in to your child's favorite foods. I got on the bandwagon this summer and made Dominic's chocolate birthday cupcakes with purple puree (blueberries and spinach) and nobody noticed! ;) Our struggle with veggies has actually been a non-issue really, ironically, it's fruit that Dominic does not prefer to munch on. However, with yogurt, applesauce and smoothies, it's much more appealing in different forms. Dominic seems to be fine with brocoli, carrots, peas, corn, potatoes, onions, squashes, and even spinach leaves. He won't consume them in mass quantities, but they're going down the hatch nevertheless!

Preparing meals has been my LEAST favorite task while being pregnant. I love to cook when I'm not pregnant, but it's almost completely joyless for me at the moment. Not to mention that veggies are completely unappealing to me. So I'm thinking of cracking out this book to make purple, orange, green and white purees to sneak this good stuff in my OWN food. Maybe I won't notice. ;)

I got re-inspired to do this by watching the first 10 mins of Oprah today. She was hosting Jessica Seinfield, who sneakily came out with her own version of this cookbook! Kind of shady if you ask me, but her recipe for spaghetti pie might win me over. I think her book cover is more fun too ;)







www.deceptivelydelicious.com/

3 comments:

Brandy said...

Julia..I saw that show too (well part of it) and had never heard of this before. But you betcha I'm about to try it! Pretty convincing... Good luck being sneaky!

Anonymous said...

I saw Oprah too. You are lucky that Dominic likes veggies. Caleb never has, not even baby food veggies. Lauren's love of veggies has been lost as she has gotten older, like Dr. Oz mentioned at the end of Oprah.

Check out my recipes for busy moms on my blog, they are timesavers!

Anonymous said...

My mom has the sneaky chef cookbook and loves it. The chocolate brownies are yummy!