Sunday, March 17, 2013

Family, pioneer life, writing, an island, old friends and a new Pope.


Spring Break was highly eventful for me this year, considering that it's unusual for me to ever leave my house outside of a 5 mile radius.  It was packed with highlights!

  Sunday and Monday we had family in town. Special guests included my brother, who is hard to catch these days since he is working full time at HESS and working on his MBA simultaneously.  He's come a long way from playing "gotcha last!" with me on the walk home from elementary school.  And then there's my sister Lesley who is just as difficult to catch these days. She just finished her board exams and will very soon be a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. She too has come a long way since way since...well, she has way too much on me, so I better not tease her.  I'm so proud of these two.  Our eldest sister, Sarah, is waaaay out West in Oregon now. I get to see her least of all :(  but will hopefully have a chance this summer.


Mom made delicious food, and left my kitchen sparkling clean with enough time to spare to sing lullabies to her grandchildren. I love this Mama of mine. 


Dad reads stories to my kids and teaches them funny words, like troubadour.  Then he and Bronius play beautiful music together. I always tell my Dad I married Bronius so he'd get off my back about being a musician. He still thinks I'm kidding about that!!!!


Then we spent a day at Washington on the Brazos learning all about the birthplace of Texas. We were too early for bluebonnets, sadly, but still had no trouble at all enjoying the pioneer life for a day.








Really though, my parents came into town to babysit my trio of boys so that I could partake in this event.  I rode down with this gracious lady and it was able to finally meet some of the people I have been corresponding and blogging with through Austin Catholic New Media! I look like I'm sitting on chair of spikes, but I was really excited to be there. Photos are not my forte.


Bronius happened to be in Austin on the same day and we got to meet for dinner at a restaurant which his friend owns, named Olive and June. The tiramisu dessert was worth the drive all on its own. A great big thanks to Senele for taking over the Grandparent shift and letting us stay out late!


  

Came back in just enough time to pack for an excursion to Corpus Christi, courtesy of some points we have been saving through Discover Card. I had never been before.  Thanks to the recommendations of this sweet friend, we went to Mustang Island and also enjoyed the Aquarium, the Science and History museum, and an endless stream of delicious seafood. :)  











No one wanted to leave the beach. We literally had to drag them away!



On the way back from Corpus, we visited with some of Bronius' old friends from College who own  farmland in Louise, Texas. We loved visiting with them and their family! The kids got to ride in a tractor and jump over hay bales! 




Mr. Sulak teaches a lesson about the plant "Milo."  We kept singing "let it grow, let it grow," after our visit to their farm. :) 

                                  






 Hmmmm. I'm trying to think if there was anything else....right.  Oh, yes. And then there was



Habemus Papam!!!!!



Which made Wednesday the best day of the week by far. I wrote this poem for Pope Francis, which was inspired by an article I read.  What an overwhelmingly beautiful day in every possible way, I'm not sure any words could adequately describe it. 

I feel a very strong emotional connection to Pope Francis, I can not quite explain it.  I'm not sure if it's his manner, or his convictions, his love of the poor, his humility, his smile or if it's just that he seems so approachable, like a father. But I love him with my whole heart! I'm excited to see how our church will be shaped by the Holy Spirit through his hands.    

I'd like to close with my favorite prayer, one which I have treasured since I was a young child.  Some of the truest words I know, may these words of St. Francis bless and inspire us evermore. 


We said goodbye to Spring Break with a sunset dinner and smores by the firepit.  These are the moments we live for. I hope everyone enjoyed a restful and relaxing break with your loved ones! 



No comments: