Saturday, March 30, 2013

Holy Week: Just go with it

Just go with it.

I think this has been our motto for the Triduum this year, and it has been the most meaningful one we've experienced as a family so far.  We've been brave, and decided to attend some of the services that we opted out of in years past because of the challenges of having squirmy, loud young boys and me not wanting to be frustrated and stressed. :)  But the church is not a hotel for saints, but a hospital for sinners...I didn't sign a contract somewhere that said I'd be perfect or have perfect children. I just promised to be faithful, and it is important to let that sink in! The Triduum services are the height of our church year, the most meaningful, and special....we were just tired of missing out! We made up our minds this year we'd " just go with it" and thankfully, the boys have gone along with it beautifully.

I wrote a short reflection of the Triduum for Austin Catholic New Media this week.  When I become overwhelmed with emotion, there is nothing for me to do other than write.  Sometimes my feelings become what I call these little "poems." I'm not sure Shakespeare would fall out of his chair after reading one, but if one person is blessed by them, then I will be happy. :)

We held our own family foot washing and simple Seder style meal before attending Mass on Holy Thursday.  The kids loved seeing the Knights of Columbus in their regalia, guarding the Eucharist, which always moves me to tears. Milo asked me if the Knights of Columbus were real pirates. The tears were short lived as I had no choice but to burst into silent laughter after that (though I'm pretty sure the people behind me thought I was having a break down)
                             
                                   
                             

Friday we all did the Walking Stations of the Cross at St. Anthony's.  We came ill-prepared. We wore good shoes and had water, but I forgot snacks, not realizing the walk would be 3 hours long.  The weather was fresh and cool, the sky was cloudy most of the time, which added to the somber air.  The kids had a hard time at the end, since we have a light lunch and then no snacks.  Eeek.  Generous friends came to our aid with apples, carrots and crackers and my family loved me again after that.  The experience was very moving and I pray we will be able to continue this each year.  We watched the last part of Jesus of Nazareth with the children and the boys were very visually drawn in by the passion of Jesus.  That was a high point for me, because for all our teaching, and reading and praying as a family, it's not up to us when the moment occurs for our children to really grasp their faith.

                                             Jesus, remember me, when you come into your Kingdom.


Saturday was a day of dyeing eggs, artwork, and baking breads and treats for Sunday. We also watch this story by Patricia Pollacco every Holy Saturday, and remember Bronius' grandmother who made beautiful eggs like this. I am also finishing up this life-changing book, "Never Give Up: My Life and God's Mercy" about the redemptive value of suffering in our life, what it means, why we have it, and how we live through it.  It has been the perfect read for Lenten sacrifice leading up to Easter glory. I would love to tell you more about it or loan it to you, if it interests you!

                                       I love using brown eggs, I think they make the prettiest jewel tones.
  


Tonight we transform our crown of thorns into a crown of flowers, and prepare for a joyful Easter celebration tomorrow at Mass. Later we look forward to a backyard egg hunt with our neighbors, music and family togetherness. As I look back on our Triduum journey, I am glad that I did not become the stubborn obstacle in my family's journey as I have unintentionally been before. It is definitely easier to allow graces to flow naturally and bless us where we need to be blessed most.




Alleluia, He is risen!!!!!!!!  A blessed Easter to you and yours, God's love, mercy and forgiveness is for us ALL!

                                






















No comments: